Summer is a wonderful time of the year. Kids are out of school, we go on vacations, going swimming, hiking, walking, camping — there are all sorts of wonderful outdoor activates to do with the family. Along with summer activities comes a few things of which to be mindful — animals, bugs, storms and heat to name a few. So let’s talk about heat for a few minutes, because it is important to stay cool and hydrated.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Adding a little lemon helps taste and even provides vitamin C. Get your children in the habit of drinking plenty of water.
- Park in the shade and open your windows slightly. Cars in the summer can reach a whopping 120 degrees! That’s dangerous for both children and pets.
- If you work outdoors:
- Stay hydrated and take breaks in cool locations such as indoors or in the shade.
- Work with a buddy and keep tabs on one another to stay safe.
- For babies who will be in the sun, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends lightweight clothes, long pants, long-sleeved shirts and brimmed hats. It is ok to place a minimal amount of sunscreen in small areas.
- For kids in the sun:
- Try to keep them out of the sun during the peak hours of 10AM-4PM.
- Wear hats and sunglasses and make sure the glasses are rated to block out the UVA and UVB with 97-100% effectiveness.
- Clothing should be tight weave.
- Wear sunblock of SPF15 or better and reapply it every 2-3 hours.
Have fun and stay safe this summer!
Swimming and spending time in or on the water is something most of us look forward to in the summer. It helps us stay cool, gives us a reason to get a tan and is lots of fun! There are a few things to consider while swimming in order to keep the merriment going.
Do not Swim Alone
It is important to have someone or a lifeguard nearby. Do not assume one is there. If you are not sure ask, because your life could depend on it.
Stay in Communication
Have a phone nearby. If something happens that requires professional help (such as medical attention), you will be able to call for help at a time when speed is of utmost importance.
Pay Attention at the Pool
Although toys are fun, they are not always safe at the pool. They can get in the way and may cause an accident. Keep electrical appliances away from the pool to avoid shock and/or electrocution. It’s also best to walk, not run, to avoid slipping and falling on the pool’s wet surfaces.
With swimming comes the chance of someone drowning. Knowing CPR could save the person’s life. When CPR is needed, the sooner it is started, the better the chances.
If a person is an unsure or weak swimmer, wear a life jacket. Take swimming lessons and learn the basic and advanced skills. Not only will you be able to swim, but you may also develop the ability to help someone who cannot.
Some people choose not to get it for financial reasons or perhaps because they consider themselves to be “good drivers.” However, there are reasons why it is important to carry adequate car insurance.
It is Required by Law
Getting caught without car insurance can impact your ability to drive. You might get your driver’s license taken away. If you are pulled over or in an accident and you do not have insurance, there can be a high likelihood that you could lose your license for up to a year. For repeat offenders, it could be longer or even include jail time. There’s often a fine involved.
It Protects You and Your Family
Another reason to carry car insurance is because it protects both you and your family as well as other drivers and their families. If you are involved in a wreck or property is damaged, insurance can provide for property repair and/or medical expenses. It helps you save money when you need it most. No one expects to get into a car accident, but they happen. Consider it like an umbrella. You may not need it, but it’s great to have one when it rains.
Save Money on Rental Insurance
Do you go on trips during which you rent a vehicle? You might be able to avoid having to pay for the insurance offered by the rental company. Check with your agent. Your vehicle insurance may cover you while you are driving a rental.
It’s not uncommon for an insurance policy to provide some type of roadside assistance. Whether you run out of gas, hit some black ice and slide off the road or just have a flat tire, you should be covered by the roadside assistance in your policy. Help is just a phone call away. Be sure to check with your agent to see what is covered in your policy.
What to Do Next
As you can see, car insurance is not just an annoyance. It is important to have adequate coverage from a company you can trust. If you wonder about your coverage and you live in Tennessee or Kentucky, Bob Johnson Insurance is glad to help. Please give us a call at 865-922-3111 or click here and fill out our contact form.
Those insurance commercials on TV can be so amusing, but when it really comes down to it, which kind of insurance agent do you want? Let’s take a look.
There are three types of insurance agents: independent, captive and direct through the internet. Our post “Why should you choose an independent insurance agent over online insurance?” explains why getting insurance online may not be your best choice.
A “captive agent” works for just one insurance company. The benefit is that they are very well-trained in their company’s products, and they usually will know fairly quickly if you qualify for a particular product. They also generally offer good customer service as well. They will be able to answer your insurance-related questions and help guide you through purchasing a policy. On the other hand, they are limited in options that they can provide to you, because they can offer products from only one insurance company.
Why an Independent Agent is the Best Choice
An independent agent stands out from the rest. Because they do not have an exclusive relationship with one company, they do not have the limitations of online insurance or a captive agent. The result is you get more from an independent agent.
- They can provide quick quotes across multiple insurance companies to help you find the best rate.
- Based on their experience and knowledge, they can advise you about the differences between companies as well as the benefits of each insurance company so that you can choose the one that balances the coverage you want with the rate you can afford.
- You get personalized service centered around your needs and wants.
- If you need multiple policies (such as auto, home, and life), you are not limited to one company for all your insurance needs. Your independent insurance agent can provide you with information about your options so that you can make the best choice for which company or companies will provide your insurance.
We would like to help you!
We would love to answer any questions you may have or to provide a quote for you. For questions, please give us a call at 865-922-3111 or click here and fill out our contact form. One of our experienced agents will contact you as quickly as possible. If you prefer, you can click any of the links under “Quotes and Information” (in the upper menu bar) to receive a free quote.