This week, we are giving a brief overview of various transportation options as well as how to stay safe in each situation.
Biking to School Safety
As your kids get older, they may want to get to school on their own. Cycling is a viable option if you don’t live too far, and you are in a decent neighborhood. Although you should have covered basic bike safety when you taught your child how to ride, some other elements have to be addressed when biking to and from school.
- Always look both ways before crossing the street.
- Always ride with a helmet and pads.
- Never leave your bike unattended and unlocked.
- Make sure to lock your bike when you arrive at school.
- Pay attention to cars and traffic while riding.
- Try to stick to the sidewalks whenever possible.
- Ride with traffic, not against it.
- Never ride at night without a light. Try not to ride at night at all if possible.
- Never let someone else ride with you – one seat, one rider.